To ease me into the blogging process I thought I would share one of my favorite sponge recipes. We have family over this weekend and what better way to impress them than a pretty delicious summer dessert.
I find this to be a really handy recepie, quick and non fussy. I’ve spent four years perfecting it so to me it’s perfect but with anything it’s down to personal taste- so any of the add ons can be removed or swapped for something you’d prefer.
Let’s get started.
8oz/225grams Caster sugar
8oz/225grams Self raising flour
8oz/225grams Unsalted butter & the wrapper for Greasing the sides
Half a teaspoon of vanilla essence
You will need two 8 inch sandwich tins.
1 punnet of fresh strawberries
1 punnet of fresh raspberries
1 250ml carton of Double whipping Cream & castor sugar
1 pot of Bonne Maman Stawberry Conserve
- Begin by preheating the oven at 180c fan oven & 160c fan/Gas4-I always increase my oven temperature by 5oc as it tends to be the tiniest bit cooler than my last one.
- Taking all the dry ingredients for the sponge mix-I sieve them into the mixer and then add all the other ingredients to include butter & eggs. Once they are blended I stop and the consistency should be thick and buttery rather than watery.
- Divide your mixture evenly between the two tins and set a timer for 20 minutes-I usually make sure and set them on the middle shelf, as centred as possible. Don’t be tempted to open-keep it closed for as long as you can as it ruins the temperature of the oven.
- While you wait whip up your fresh cream, with the sugar, I add it to taste (not healthy but sure!)
- Prepare your fruit for the toppings.
- Wash your raspberries and mash them to a compote consistency, use enough to cover the base of your cake
- When your twenty minutes have passed-open the oven and I usually pop a metal skewer to check it comes out of the cake clean before removing. If some of your mixture is on the skewer add osme extra time in 5 minute increments!
- Let the cake rest for 10 minutes
- Once completely cool use the strawberry jam and cover one side of your 1st sponge. Use the other sponge and put the raspberry compote on it. Sandwich that with some fresh cream
- Decorate top with remaining fresh cream and Fruit choices and Voila!