If you’ve been around for a while you’ll remember me writing this And I promised I would update…So here It is.
I read the beginnings of an article I mentioned the last time ‘life with two is impossible.’ I am here to say Its possible and Possibly wonderful at that.
I won’t deny the early days are a learning curve but I already look back on them and miss them! I remember one day in particular, combine a potty training a toddler and a baby who didn’t like the baby carrier, had a possible milk allergy and wanted to be carried. Its less than glamourous but it’s pretty freaking awesome all the same. This time instead of being overly sentimental and boring you to tears with my tales of how fantastical it is. Here’s a few things they don’t tell you about having a second baby…….
1. You will fantasise about your first maternity…..relaxing, eating while baby sleeps, watching TV, scrolling the gram, painting your nails…you get the gist. This time you have someone to entertain who’s usually bouncing with energy while you feel like someone who’s been shot from the ceiling. If your lucky enough to have an older sibling ready for school….you get respite while they’re at school….but you actually have to take them there…and that requires getting dressed 😂
2. Your first child will, more than once wake your second child. At this point its ok to have favourites, I know I did, though it changed numerous times throughout the day! So I still love them equally, right?
3. The washing machine will become a valued member of the family…it will be in use WAY more-as the first child can get messy while you’re dealing with the second one and vice versa.
4. With the first, I called out things like. ‘hes 22 weeks and 5 days, 70cm long and he weighs 16lb 4oz!’ Sadie is in 6-9 clothes and she was weighed at 6 months. I think shes 10 months or so now……On a recent call to the out of hours…I had to find her birth certificate to confirm if her birthday was the 3rd or 4th May! Leading me onto…
5. You’ll spend way less time in the doctors surgery, It could be you feel more confident in your ability to judge the level of sickness. Or perhaps the doctor looked at you too many times like a crazed first time mum ….or alternatively your simply fine with dosing them with Calpol and hoping for the best. I mean it didn’t kill child 1!
6. The Ipad/movies could save your life! Books are great but they don’t captivate little people unless YOU are actually reading them! I had great ideas for painting and the likes but that lasts about 2 minutes tops… then you have the mess to deal with!
7. MOST IMPORTANT POINT FOR the MUM who likes a great photo- ITS twice as hard to get two children looking at the camera, smiling or looking kind of happy!
Anyway I’ll leave it there for now, ultimately having a second child is different for many reasons. The important thing is to love them just as much as you did your first…which I can confirm is doable! It’s no walk in the park that’s for sure but nothing in the world is better than seeing two little humans that you own laughing and interacting with each other.
Thanks for reading
Rainwear gifted by https://www.rydale.com/ though not requested material.